Ian Yorston - Director of Digital Strategy, Radley College, UK
I spend quite a bit of time visiting Schools, Colleges and Conferences to lecture on Change and on the Future of Education.
Conferences always seem to need a Biography:
Ian Yorston is Director of Digital Strategy at Radley College in the United Kingdom.
He has previously been Head of Science, Head of Physics and Head of Careers. The fact that Radley keeps giving him new jobs suggests that perhaps he's not very good at any of them.
Beyond Radley, he acts as an advisor to the Independent Schools Council, is a Governor of a Catholic day school and has spent many a happy week masquerading as an ISI Schools' Inspector.
Prior to Radley he spent 10 years in the Royal Air Force including 3 years as an Electronic Warfare Officer. This involved a lot of computers and a number of wars. He also spent a great deal of time working alongside Americans. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing.
If he did have a youth then it was a long time ago. He spent some of it reading Economics and Engineering Science at Oxford University.
He tweets far too much at @IanYorston:
Download hi-res photograph from here
Director of Digital Strategy
Oxon OX14 2HR
e-mail: isy dot speaking at xemaps dot com
My WebLog - The UnreasonableMan - is at www.unreasonableman.net
I've spoken at many, many conferences. These seem to be representative:
- "Looking Out, Reaching Out" - OECD Future Schools Conference, Vienna, Sep 2010
- "Why Schools are Social Networks" - New Zealand Schools Conference, South Island, Aug 2010
- "Changing Schools" - CEFPI Design Conference, Perth Western Australia, May 2010
- "Spending Less, Learning More" - Bursars Conference, Harrogate, May 2010
- "New Visions" - COBIS International Schools Conference, London, May 2010
- "A Classroom in their Pocket" - Independent Schools ICT Conference, Oxford, Dec 2009
- "The Fourth Screen" - Australian Education Conference, Canberra, Oct 2009
- "Reach for the Sky" - ISA Education Conference, Oxford, Nov 2008
- "Looking to the Future" - New Zealand Schools Conference, North Island, July 2008
- "Google Earth and Google Sky" - Directors of ICT, Rugby School, 2008
- "Every Child Matters: Not Just the Present Tense" - BSA Deputy Heads Conference, Manchester 2008
- "Re-engineering Schools" - Australian Bursars' Conference. Adelaide Oct 2007
- "VLEs made Simple" - Institute of Education, London, Jun 2007
- "KISS it Better" - MidYIS Conference. London, 2007
- "Nothing New under the Sun" - BSA Heads Conference. Stratford, 2007
- "Against the Natural Order" - IAPS Management Conference. York, 2007
- "ICT in Boarding Schools" - BSA Housemasters + Housemistresses Conference. Brighton, 2007
- "Future Technologies in Schools" - ISC Annual Conference. London, 2006
- "Changing Classrooms" (with David Smith) - Reboot8, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 2006
- "The Future is Another Country" - State Boarding Schools Annual Conference. UK 2006
- "ITs only the End of the World Again" - ISBA Bursars Conference. UK 2005
- "Why you should Panic" - GSA Deputy Heads Conference. UK 2005
- "Big Numbers (and the Approximate Size of the Universe)" - IAPS Science + Technology Conference. UK 2004
I'm an ISI Inspector, a School Governor and I act as an occasional advisor to ISC on ICT matters.
I also seem to have visited a lot of schools, including State Schools. This list probably isn't complete...
- Solihull School, Birmingham
- King's College, Taunton
- Withington Girls' School, Manchester
- Portsmouth Grammar School
- King's School, Chester
- Dauntsey's School
- St Mary's, Calne
- Hutcheson's Grammar, Glasgow
- Repton School
- Cheltenham Ladies College
- Stover School
- Bedford School
- Winchester College
- Perse Boys
- Clifton College
- Wymondham College
- Dean Close
- Trinity, Teignmouth
- Downe House
- The Royal Belfast Academical Institution
- Piper's Corner
- The Royal School, Haslemere
- The Abbey, Reading
- The Dragon, Oxford
- Summer Fields